Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Great Flood May 2010

Wow! The most rain I have EVER seen. It started early Saturday morning and well by Sunday we had 15 inches of water...records broken everywhere in Middle TN and disaster all over. I don't think anyone realized how much damage it was going to do. We just got dumped on in a short period of time. Saturday morning I took Megan to a birthday party and got home a little after noon. My mom left our house and went to Publix in Fieldstone Farms and got stuck there for a bit, during a tornado warning. When she drove past the elementary school people were jet skiing in the water(rednecks!). It usually floods a little over there but this was the most we have even seen it. We did loose power for a bit on Saturday. Mark was in White House all morning, b/c the biker (idiots) didn't let rain keep their race from happening. They were suppose to have one in Brentwood on Sunday, but with all the disaster and more rain it was cancelled!! Sunday morning it was still raining, we lost power mid morning again. Mark suggested we start packing our bags. I panicked-where do you even begin??? We started packing necessities and then moving stuff upstairs. I mean, we just redid all the flooring and my new couch was FINALLY delivered. It was going to be bad if the water got in. Well, Sunday afternoon the rain let up a little, which in our mind saved our little neighborhood. The Little Harpeth also did not crest as high as we all thought it could as well. Lot's of basement and garage damages, but for us it was a few leaks, which is nothing compared to what others lost. Monday morning the kids and I took a walk around the neighborhood and it was pretty bad, but thankfully no-one got hurt and most houses suffered minimal damage, like I mentioned garages and cars. We feel so lucky. Nashville, is mess right now, but we will recover. We have a few friends with damage, but everyone is safe. My brother Jeremy's unfinished basement had 4 1/2 feet of water, a backed up sump pump and still has no power. I wish I had pictures, the washer and dryer were just floating in water & a water logged AC unit. That's the other thing is very few people have flood insurance, so it is just a sad situation all together. One of our dear friends just had their 2nd baby and came home from the hospital on Saturday and 3 hrs later had to evacuate. Thank goodness they didn't loose anything, but 2 rooms have to be completely stripped and new air ducts, so they are with family for a few weeks until the work can be done. We are very fortunate. Here are a few pics
Our backyard common area, one big lake
That little hill at the end of the driveway saved us. YEs, that would be the power box in the water. Surprisingly we got power back quickly.
Looking out the garage to the right. One big river
Looking out the back to the right. We were truly a little island. I wanted to go get Megan's house & water table(Amy would be so happpy!!), but Mark said no.He was also going to just locked Ruby upstairs and leave her some food and water.Poor 6lb thing would have floated away..

No comments: