Friday, February 5, 2010

Big Girl Bed...Third attempt

One proud girl after she took a nap in her big girl bed, with her Dr. present
TARGET Clearance toy=big girl bed transition
The "huge" box she got after sleeping through the night in her big girl bed


Attempt 1: Mid September the room was painted & the bunk beds were in. Mark got the room all ready for her to sleep in it overnight, kissed her goodnight, shut the door, he came downstairs turned up the monitor & within 30 seconds we hear a pitiful Daddy, Daddy & upstairs he went to rescue her. She wanted her crib, so back she went. After this, it was more of read stories and make the room "fun". We also didn't push it, b/c of the upcoming arrival of Wyatt!

Attempt 2: Jan 3rd 2010. Start to a new year, last day of vacation! She wanted to take a nap in the big girl room as much as I didn't like the timing we went with it. She napped in it for four days straight. She did show some signs of whining, but overall was doing quite well. Then we had a snow day & went to Aunt Becca's for a day & she napped in the pack-n-play. The next day Gigi & Grandad were here since we were at work & she cried in her big bed, so they didn't want to upset her(& I don't blame them) so back to the crib. Now after this she would tell us everyday she was going to sleep in the big girl bed & then last minute change her mind. The stalling game was getting old.

Attempt 2 1/2(Please don't call child services): So the stalling game I mentioned was about to end. The next week I had enough of the game. It was nap time, I thought if I was going to loose something it was going to be a nap not a nights rest. The war began, I wouldn't let her change her mind. There was some screaming, some hugging, some persuasion, some threats it all ended with a temper tantrum behind a closed door on the floor of the big girl room. When she woke up on the floor she did get her gift...I mean I was true to my word, you slept in the big girl room! Let's also say that the game ended, but she didn't want to play anymore. In fact she didn't even ask to even read books in the big girl room. So after that I just came to think she was going to be sixteen making out with boys in her crib. She had no interest in moving.

Attempt #3: Again, she really had no interest in the big girl room or bed, until last week.....we were on house arrest due to the blizzard of 2010. Megan, over the past few weeks was REALLY into her vet kit, which she calls her Dr. kit. Anyways, I had a clearance Dr. kit I had picked up for the gift closet that I brought out and showed her. I told her if she took a nap in her big girl bed she could have it. Bribery, I know. Well, she looked at it several times, I even put it on the bed. She would talk about it & at times tell me to just give it to Wyatt. I knew she would sleep in there when she was ready. I mean we had told her the big box in the garage(her fridge I was going to give to her for Xmas but we decided she had too much & would save it for later) she could have if she slept in her big girl bed at night for months and it didn't faze her. She passed it everyday getting in the car. I thought a $7 Dr kit would never do the trick.
WRONG!! Today the girl got in that bed and took a 2 1/2 hour nap. When she woke up, I was so excited that I was peeking through the door & she saw me and with such delight said, "I slept in my big girl bed now I get my Dr. present." She was thrilled. She popped out of the bed and got the gift and we tore into it immediately. It didn't stop there, once we got downstairs she went to the garage and told us "other gift." We told her she had to sleep through the night in the big girl bed and she could have it. Well, sister is dreaming about that "huge" gift right now. I am hoping we have made the official switch. Wyatt is so ready for the crib & I truly think she wanted to be in the big bed it was just the timing. She knew we wanted her to move & let's just say with her it is on her time. Hopefully everyone will be all settled very soon. Wyatt is at sleep camp right now as well. Trying to teach him that if he doesn't have the wubba in his mouth or a bottle he doesn't need to loose it. He is doing so good & really does want to stay asleep if his darn hands would stop moving!!! Ahh transition!!! Now, I have to come up with why you don't get a gift every time you shut your eyes in the big girl bed!!!

Lesson learned: They will do it on their own time. Bribery does work, but don't always think the bigger the better, kids don't care!!
"Wyatt can sleep with me"
"No big girl bed"
"No mamma, you can just take it back"(referring to any gift we would offer her
"Wyatt sleeps in the big girl bed"

***I am happy to report it has been almost a week and we are officially moved. There has been little to any resistence and she doesn't get out. She tried, but we let her know that she HAD to stay in the bed. Wyatt is next, just didn't want to do it too fast, since it was her nursery. ***


No comments: