Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Off to the Mile High City

Saturday Megan and I headed out to Denver for about 10 days to visit Mama C and Coach. Yes, we flew alone and we made it. Mark is coming out on Wednesday night after work. Then we are headed to Breckenridge(or Breck as the locals refer to it as!) for the long fourth of July weekend. We are having a great week so far. Here are a few things I learned or tricks on flying alone with a 9 1/2 month old. It is a lot different now since she doesn't just want to be held. In the past she was fine with a bottle and being held and would sleep most of the plane ride. I also brought our running stroller(the BOB) since the trail running and mountain trails are incredible. It is a bigger stroller, but it was just as easy and so glad I have it out here. 

1. Have your bag of tricks ready to go and easily accessible. Even a small bag of cheerios is a toy. They love the sound and you can always feed it to them.

2. Benedryl is great(she had taken it before so we knew she was ok with it)! However don't think it will ALWAYS put them to sleep. Megan slept for about 20 minutes, but was quite mellow the whole 2 1/2 hour flight. She actually didn't mind being held.  She just stared at everyone...didn't want to miss a thing. 

3. Lesson I learned. Which side do you hold your child? I usually do my left side. Well, I sat in seat with the window on my right. Not as easy with another passenger right next to you. 

4. The BOB and two small carry on bags do fit in a handicapped bathroom. Tricky, but you can still pee! 

5. EVERYTHING has to go through security. Even the BOB. I had to break it down and send it through-it fit! Babies also have to have their shoes removed-yes, I had to take her sandals off. 

So the two ring circus made it out. Actually, it was not that bad, I mean I had no idea what to expect now that she it so much more mobile. I was a bit nervous. I did not take ANY pictures, however I am sure we were quite the site. I realized how independent I can be, b/c you have no help. I can hold a baby, have 2 bags and break a stroller down.  

P.S You all know what a HORRIBLE packer I am, well I made it out with one suitcase(under 50 lbs) and had both of our stuff in it. Now, that is an accomplishment in itself. 


2 comments:

Owings Family said...

I am so proud of you!! That is a huge accomplishment! I hope Mark is flying back with you.

Amy Griffin said...

very impressive...I can't imagine hauling the BOB through the airport! I have only done it with small strollers. Congrats on a job well done!